Monday, September 21, 2009

Post #3

Since I am going to be a High School Physical Education teacher, there won't be much need for me to create a technological lesson plan. However, say I ran out of copy paper to print a test on volleyball. I could create a multiple choice test on word project it on to a screen where all of the students could see it sitting at their computers in a lab. I could have them also open a word document and type the numbers 1-20 and have them answer the questions typing the letter of the corresponding answer. They would then save the document as their name and send it to me via e-mail. Since they are high school students I would expect them to have an e-mail account. I would walk them through all of the necessary steps to do so of course.
The only thing I would be concerned with about this method is that I wouldn't be able to watch all of my students to the degree I would want to. It would be very hard to keep track of who's eyes were where in a testing environment. The school normally has a screening process for what can and can't be accessed through the internet. I would not have to worry very much about what my students were researching because of this blocked access. For example, my High School computers prevented us from being able to look at sights such as Facebook, My Space, or even check out e-mail.
One tool or resource i think would be helpful for a Physical Education teacher would be an ESPN link to sports or for a YMCA to get involved. here are both:

2 comments:

  1. I thought it was very interesting that you said that a concern of yours is using computers in a testing environment. I had not thought of this challenge, but it is certainly one to consider!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that using technology can make it easier for educators to do certain tasks. For example, you could create a quiz on some sport that you may focus on for a couple of weeks in gym. This quiz could be created so that they answer the questions using a computer and let the computer grade the quiz and submit their results to your email address. You don't have to use paper, and you can even set up the questions so that they are scrambled to alleviate problems with cheating, or wandering eyes. On top of that, you don't have to spend time grading the quiz because the results are sent to you completely graded. Aaah, the wonderful world of technology! Good luck to you in the future. Working with students is a very rewarding experience!!!

    ReplyDelete